Sunday, October 25, 2009

18th century enligh lit.
"Pamela"


I could only fly to his generous bosom (for this is a subject whichmost affects me), and, with my eyes swimming in tears of grateful joy,and which overflowed as soon as my bold lips touched his dear face,bless God, and bless him, with my whole heart; for speak I couldnot! But, almost chok'd with my joy, sobb'd to him my gratefulacknowledgments. He clasped me in his arms, and said, "How, mydearest, do you overpay me for the little I have done for yourparents! If it be thus to be bless'd for conferring benefits soinsignificant to a man of my fortune, what joys is it not in the powerof rich men to give themselves, whenever they please!--Foretastes,indeed, of those we are bid to hope for: which can surely only exceedthese, as _then_ we shall be all intellect, and better fitted toreceive them."--"'Tis too much!--too much," said I, in broken accents:"how am I oppressed with the pleasure you give me!--O, Sir, blessme more gradually, and more cautiously--for I cannot bear it!" And,indeed, my heart went flutter, flutter, flutter, at his dear breast,as if it wanted to break its too narrow prison, to mingle still moreintimately with his own.


welcome back sweet devine lunacy:
i went for a walk and saw a street fair
pumpkins and goats, children running around like wolves
did they expect all of us to forget this?

No comments: